CLICK ON PICTURES TO ENLARGE

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Manatees Love Apalachicola

Well... I saw a first today and didn't have my camera with me...just my luck.



As I started across the causeway to Apalachicola, there were about 10 vehicles pulled off the south side of  Hwy 98, with the drivers and occupants looking at the bay. After stopping I could see something splashing about 50 yards out in the bay and realized that it was a manatee breeding.

It seems that manatees are indiscriminate breeders and when a cow goes into heat, all the males in the neighborhood show up. Today there were 9or 10 in attendance when  I stopped, but I was told they had been there for several hours.

Oyster Radio's Blog

Here are some photos that John took.

John's photos

Here are some photos Laura took of the manatees.

East Bay Manatees

2 comments:

  1. Wow.. they are amazing Capt. Ron. I don't believe I've ever seen one in person. Thank you for sharing the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanie, That's the 1st time that I witnessed them breeding. Usually we see 1 or 2 at a time. Pretty amazing seeing all those big critters in knee deep water.

    ReplyDelete